Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Technique Tuesday-2, 4, 6, 8 Bag

Hello there! I'm here to share a quick tutorial with you. This is one of the first 3D items I learned as a new demonstrator many years ago. With Valentine's day coming up next month, I thought you might like a quick project to hold some little chocolates in. I made this one to give as a birthday gift.

You need to start with a half sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 5 1/2) and score it at the 2", 4", 6", and 8" marks across the 8 1/2" side. Can you guess why it's called a 2, 4, 6, 8 Bag? Now turn it sideways and score again on the 2" mark. Cut along the scores as you see below.
You could decorate this in LOTS of different ways. I chose to do a simple watercolor technique directly on the bag, so I did that before assembling the bag. I used our Stampin' Write Markers to ink up one of the flower stamps from our hostess Bloom With Hope set.
Then I held the stamp away from my project and spritzed it with water.
I stamped directly on the square that would be the front of my box. I didn't want the flower to be too high on the box, so some of the stem extends across the bottom. (The flaps weren't trimmed on this paper yet.) See how the water makes the color bleed a little, giving you a watercolor look? I did do a couple of test stamps on some scrap paper to see how far away to hold the spritzer so I wasn't getting too much or too little water. 
Use a little Sticky Strip across the tab on the side and the backside of the flap below the flowers. 
Assemble.
This has the bottom side up. 
If you push in the sides on the top, you can squeeze it together. 
This is hard to take pictures of with one hand.
To hold the top together, I punched two holes in the top, through all the layers, threaded a piece of Seam Binding Ribbon through and tied a bow. I like this box because it uses a half sheet of paper with very little waste, it comes together quickly, and it is the right size to hold several pieces of chocolate. You can't go wrong with chocolate. :o) 
till next time...
God's love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment